Here in the south, people tend to shy away from outdoor evening weddings. Those of you that are from the coastal regions know well just how the ‘no-see-ums’ eat you for dessert and the state bird, i.e. the mosquitoes, swarm in the carry you off when the sun starts to go down. But, here at Chukkar Farm, evening weddings are some of our favorite events to host. We have great tips that will help keep your guests around enjoying the party while forcing the uninvited bugs to find dinner else where.
Choosing the Right Location
Venues that are near by standing water such as ponds, lakes, or even rain puddles will inherently have a larger population of mosquitoes. Chukkar Farms’ pavilion and chapel are both located in perfect areas away from water sources, so the pesky bug population is next to none.
Provide the right amenities to your guests to help make them comfortable during the warm summer evenings. Some of the essentials include:
- Citronella candles on the tables as centerpieces
- Place torches around the perimeter of your event filled with citronella oil
- Place citronella candles where ever you can find a good spot for them
- Print your programs on paper fans. They’ll serve both purposes of providing your guests with the info they need, and a way to keep cool and keep the bugs off of them!
- Turn on the fans! Keeping the air moving will help keep the bugs away too.