Polo is a game that is near and dear to our hearts. If you aren’t familiar with it yet, here’s one thing you should know; it has a lot of history! Here’s a few fun facts you didn’t know about the game (because everybody loves fun facts)!
- Polo is one of the longest standing sports around. The first game ever took place in a few centuries B.C!
- Everybody loves Prince Charles! Did you know he met his mistress during a polo match? They were in their early 20’s, and both claim it to be an instant connection!
- The modern day polo t-shirt we know was invented by Lewis Lacey in the 1920’s. It was unexpected that polo was going to become a fashion statement, and it quickly took off.
- Sultan Qutb-ud-din Aibak, the first Muslim Emperor of North India, died tragically in a polo accident in 1210. He was only an emperor for four years (they are supposed to rule a lifetime).
- The poorest city in the world, Calcutta is actually home to the oldest polo club. Many find this ironic considering the “rich ego” that surrounds the game.
- The Great Gatsby character Tom Buchanon is based off of America’s best polo player of all time, Tommy Hitchcock, Jr.
- Did you know polo can be played with other animals than horses? Elephants perhaps? Take a look at this crazy spin on the game, elephant polo!
There’s so much more to learn about polo, and we can help! Learn more about what polo is, when we offer matches and how you can get involved in the game at Chukkar Farm. We offer lessons, matches, boarding and more!